AS IMPORTANT AS IT IS to have straight teeth for better oral health and a more beautiful smile, many people are nervous at the prospect of getting them straightened with orthodontic treatment because they think it will be unpleasant or that people will make fun of them. For some, braces anxiety can even be a serious phobia. We’re here today to help ease those fears.
Don’t Let Pop Culture Give You The Wrong Idea About Braces
Whenever braces appear in movies and TV, they usually involve bulky headgear or the character wearing them is portrayed as a socially awkward outcast. These are outdated stereotypes. Modern braces are very low-profile, particularly if you use lingual (tongue-side) braces or invisible aligners. Your braces and your social life will get along great, so don’t let concern for your peers’ reactions stop you from getting the smile you deserve!
Tips For Overcoming Braces Anxiety
- Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to do some research on different types of braces before coming into the office & have questions about why one treatment option is better than another. Knowing your options will help you feel more comfortable in the decision-making process.
- Check out before & after photos or videos on Youtube of successful braces treatment and hear first hand from others how they feel braces have improved their life.
- Before your actual bonding appointment, go out and stock up on all of your favorite soft foods! This will give you something to look forward to when you finally get your braces on. Can you say ICECREAM?
- Make sure to ask for plenty of Orthodontic wax at your bonding appointment. That way any discomfort is immediately alleviated since it takes some time to get used to the metal brackets. According to our patients, orthodontic wax is a lifesaver!
- Last but not least, focus on the benefits of braces and how they will ultimately pay off in the long haul. From our experience, having braces is a stepping stone to a more confident future & we can help get you there.
Get To Know Our Team!
If you or someone you care about needs orthodontic treatment but hasn’t sought it out because of braces anxiety, feel free to schedule a time to come to our practice, meet our team members, and get used to the facility. We want you to feel safe and comfortable when you’re with us, and we’ll answer any questions you may have!
We look forward to seeing you! To schedule your appointment please contact us today.